Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Bath Time and Babbling


At first this post wasn't going to contain anything but cute pictures of Whitney taking a bath.


But then I decided to document that Whitney's babbling is coming on in full force, and that maybe she's saying her first word!


For a while, we were worried about Whitney's verbal skills.  As a pediatrician I thought that she wasn't verbal enough.  Sue didn't notice at first.  When I eventually mentioned it to her, Sue consulted our friend who happens to be a pediatric speech pathologist and she agreed that Whitney was behind, but not to worry yet.  After all, she was ahead in some physical skills such as pointing and fine pincer grasp.

So we waited and eventually Whitney began to talk more.  Now she's babbling.  And we're debating about whether or not Whitney's first word is...

DOG.

Yep, dog.  She loves dogs of all shapes and sizes and whenever we read this one touch and feel book, she pretty consistently makes a certain noise when she gets to the page with the dogs.  She also makes that noise when she sees dogs in person.  We're not sure if she's making a barking noise to imitate what a dog says, or if she's actually saying dog.

I also like to think that she's saying "Papa" but while she'll echo it, she's not really saying it with any purpose.

1 comment: