Thursday, August 11, 2011

Perfect Parenting Moments

As Cruz' second birthday approaches, I can't help but sit back and think on how his presence has affected my life and Sue's.

Taking that a step further, I've begun to consider what "perfect parenting moments" I've been so fortunate to have with Cruz. This was inspired by a parenting blog that I read, called "The Poop."

I can't speak for Sue, but I can certainly recall one event that for me was just magical.

It was less than a year ago, sometime back in September or October. I had taken Cruz out for a stroll, maybe so that Sue could have some alone time. It was either a Saturday or Sunday and we eventually wandered over to what will most likely become Cruz' future middle school. The athletic fields were being set-up for multiple soccer matches and there was a team running through drills. The kids could not have been more than 7 or 8 years old. I bent down next to his stroller and pointed out to Cruz the soccer balls, how the kids were kicking them, and how one day he'd be "big like them" and would kick the balls too. I stood up and Cruz and I watched the kids.

Everything seemed peaceful, maybe even idyllic. The only sounds were of the kids playing, an occasional bird, and the soft rustling of a slight breeze. Then, on his own, Cruz stuck out his hand as if to ask me to hold it. And so I did. Together we watched those kids, his little hand wrapped around my index finger. It must have only been two minutes at the most, but as we held hands I could not help but to think about how much he had changed in just a year, how amazing it was the he actually wanted to hold my hand, and of all the possibilities ahead of him, such as playing soccer on a fall morning.

Eventually he let go and we had to move on. On our way back, I found him sleeping like this:


I like to think that he was resting for the new adventures ahead of him.

One of the biggest new adventures for Cruz is his new role as an older cousin! My sister, Rochelle, gave birth to Conrad Alfred Ziegler, born on August 10th at 2:36 pm (CDT), weighing in at 7 lbs. 5 oz. My sister and her family are doing well and going home today from the hospital.

Rochelle and her husband, Brian, are looking forward to their own perfect parenting moments that lie ahead.

3 comments:

  1. Hey - there's my hat!!! :-) -cyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Ben! I'm amazed of how you turned out to be an inspirational writer. You express your thoughts very well in an organized manner. I love reading all of your posts.

    Cruzie seems to have gotten taller. He remains adorable. Conrad is looking forward to meeting his older cousin.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cruz is going to be so touched when he gets to read this

    ReplyDelete