Thursday, April 29, 2010

Pseudo-esotropia

In addition to Cruz' skin issues, he was referred to the pediatric ophthalmologist to determine if he is cross-eyed, esotropia being the medical term. Turns out he's just an Asian baby! His eyes are aligned correctly --- the shapes of his eyelids give the illusion of being cross eyed.

The next doctor's visit will be to the pediatric dermatologist in early May. Our pediatrician recommended that mom be on a dairy-free and soy-free diet since Cruz' eczema may be a reaction to cows milk. The reason for being on a soy-free diet is because there is a 20% cross-reactivity between cows milk protein and soy. It has been an extremely hard diet for me --- I can't eat my weekly pizza's and my almost daily tofu dishes. In addition, it is amazing how much soy there is in everything. I've been on the diet for now almost two months. I almost caved in twice but stayed strong. I've been surviving on almond milk and hummus! Hopefully, the dermatologist will tell me to resume my prior diet since I don't think it made much of a difference in his skin.

By the way, Cruz would like to wish his Auntie Rochelle a happy belated birthday!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like the eyelids are coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwww, thanks for the birthday wishes Cruz! Auntie Rochelle loves you VERY much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete