Thursday, August 8, 2013

It's the Little Things

I suppose that it goes without saying that my job frequently reminds me how fortunate I am to have two healthy, loving kids.  That fact was again hit home earlier this week when I had to undergo a colonoscopy because of my family history of colon cancer.  Reflecting on your own mortality helps you appreciate what you have, and these past few days I've especially come to be thankful for many of the little joys that Cruz and Whitney give me everyday.

For example Cruz insists that we "say goodbye to [him] at the window" every day, when we leave for work.  It's to the point where he'll frequently ask or remind us, often upwards of a dozen times as we're leaving.  Having borne witness to what happens should we forget, I try to enthusiastically wave everyday as I walk to my car and drive away, lest I leave the boy devastated for several minutes.  At first I found the ritual an annoyance, but I realize it's one of the ways Cruz shows how much he loves us.

Another little thing that I try to cherish every time it happens, is how Whitney can hug you when you're carrying her.  I'm not talking about the casual hug, but the full on, body draped all over you, head resting on your shoulder one.  The one usually reserved for right before she goes to sleep.  It is so endearing, so tender and just goes to show how much she inherently trusts us by letting go that much and being that vulnerable as we lay her down to sleep.  I don't think I really appreciated that as much with Cruz but I try to soak it up whenever I get one from Whitney now.

And then of course there's the cuddling, particularly when we're reading.  When I'm reading a book that both kids agree upon, I know I've hit the sweet spot and it makes all the hard parts about parenting worth it.  Having a child leaning into you on either side, pressed up against you, your arms around them as you hold up the book, bringing them even closer, and you're all enjoying the story or perhaps more importantly the closeness of each others company - that is a tiny little thing, but it's also one of the greatest things I think I've been lucky enough to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment